The Parish of St Joseph’s, Toronto is located on the western shore of Lake Macquarie, New South Wales. We cover the area from Wangi in the south to Fennell Bay in the north, and west to the Watagan mountains. We are part of the Macquarie Region of the Maitland Newcastle Diocese, and our neighbouring parishes are Morisset to the south and Booragul, Boolaroo and Warners Bay to the north. An excellent directory of our diocese, including information about our parish and it’s neighbours, can be found here.
Our parish mission statement is:
As a Catholic faith community, we at St Joseph’s are called to participate
fully in the life and mission of the Church.
Nourished by the bread of life (the scriptures and the Eucharistic body of
Christ), our parish, in striving to build God’s Kingdom, encourages all to
share of their time and talents.
Toronto became the centre of a new parish in 1955, with Mass centres at Teralba, Toronto and Wangi. In 1984, the church and adjacent primary school were relocated from Toronto to a new site at Kilaben Bay, a few kilometres to the south.
Our Parish buildings are located on 40 acres overlooking Lake Macquarie. Our church, parish residence, conference centre and primary school are located together in this quiet setting a few kilometres south of the town of Toronto.
Our church was constructed in 1984 after a decision was made to move from the previous location opposite Toronto private hospital due to space limitations. The church was designed to reflect the Australian home – iron roof, verandah effect, light and airy, taking in lake and bush. A place of worship for Australian catholics. A striking feature of our church building is the dominance of two large stained glass windows which portray Baptism and the Eucharist – sacraments central to our catholic way of life.